blackbird

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

A cure for the empty nest- Day 1

Well, I think I may have found a cure for the empty nest....... A dog? you say? NOOO, those need supervision and close care,  - a cat? nooooo, although indifferent and somewhat maintenance free still not the perfect option.......the answer is.......SEA MONKEYS! No dirty diapers, no waking in the middle of the night, SRS nor PETA care if you leave them alone for days on end - it's parenting utopia!

Now if you were raised by wolves, or just not of a privileged background, you may have been deprived of the experience and may be asking just what exactly IS a sea monkey? Never fear, I am going to enlighten you. They are a variant of brine shrimp or Artemia salina, a species which enters cryptobiosis, a natural state of suspended animation, allowing their cysts (dormant saclike embryos) to be sold as a dry powder. When the powder is poured into water, live shrimp appear within hours, and can grow up to an adult length of 2 centimeters within one year.

So, to help me battle the depression of my little birds leaving my nest, I am going to become a surrogate mother to a tribe of little sea monkeys. And of course you can accompany me on this magnificent journey into parenthood! So today - day 1 - I am preparing the crib, the home for my little offspring. I have filled the plastic birthing center with purified water and tomorrow will add the eggs to the watery incubator. Stay tuned!

No comments: