blackbird

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Yeast Cinnamon Rolls - YUMMY!! - Tiara wearin' good.

Why is it that a rainy, dreary day makes me want to bake? Maybe because baking or cooking in general makes me happy. I love it. One thing that I don't love is cleaning up the mess. So with that in mind, it's easy to understand why I don't just whip up a batch of cinnamon rolls every weekend for the family. As you can see by the pictures below, I seem to make a huge mess with these, but they are so good, sometimes ya just gotta do it. SO, today was the day. Try them yourself, when they come out perfect - OMGOSH - they melt in your mouth. Now I'm not gonna lie and say every time is that time, because I have created some real duds....but just like with anything baking......alot depends on the weather and other conditions, but when it's good, it's reeeaaal good. I wish I had a smell widget because the smell of them baking cannot be described or imitated and there is no candle in the world, that, well,..... holds a candle to it. 

So carve out a little time and dress for the mess, then, prepare to impress. And then wear the tiara, because by golly, you've earned it.



In a large bowl, mix
1 c. Dry Milk
2 Qts (8 c.) Flour
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 TBSP Salt

Mix in bowl and set aside 10 minutes:
2-3 pkgs Yeast (5 tbsp)
1 Qt. Lukewarm water

Cut 1 c. Shortening into  the Flour mixture. Make hole in middle and pour yeast liquid, it will be very sticky. Turn onto floured surface. Dough will be soft, knead a few minutes. Pat or roll dough into a  flat rectangle approximately 1/2 inch thick. Spread softened butter thickly over dough.
Then sprinkle on a mixture of:
1 c. Brown sugar
1/4 c. Cinnamon  (I don't even measure I do what I need to liberally cover the dough)

Roll up tightly, pinch ends and cut
into 1 1/2 inch thick rolls (I use thread)
Let rise 45 minutes or so in a warm place.

This is what my shirt looks like when I'm done----------------------------------------------------

Bake 375 25-30 minutes.

 After rolls are cooled, melt together:
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. White Sugar
1/2 C. butter
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 c. nuts (optional)
After that is melted together add 1 c. of powdered sugar, then pour over rolls.

No comments: