blackbird

Saturday, March 19, 2011

QR codes: An addiction waiting to happen (to both scanning and Roy's)

At ESSDACK we have been using QR codes in our marketing efforts to catch a few of those savvy smart phone users that have the barcode scanner apps installed. Our social media princess, Jaime (Life as a Digital Mom) has been trying to think of new and exciting ways to encourage, lure or just plain trick people into reading and exploring our sites, newsletters and blogs. Her latest attempt was that of placing a "secret" QR code and making it a game to see who could name it the quickest. I was honored that the first one she chose was a link to one of my blog entries and referenced it on my facebook page.

I suppose I should not have been surprised when I started getting the questions about what is a QR code and how do I make it work? First let me regurgitate the info on what exactly a QR code is, instead of trying to wax eloquently about it, I will just reference an explanation (from ourchurch.com) that is very clear and concise:

What is a QR code?
A QR Code is a two-dimensional barcode, which has encoded in it a URL (web address), text, or other information. It can be read by a QR code scanner, including QR scanner smartphone apps.
How can I read a QR code?
If you have a smartphone, go to the app store and search for a QR code reader. You’ll find several free apps. Run the app and then hold your phone’s camera over a QR code to read it. Most QR codes you’ll come across have a URL encoded, so chances are when you read the QR code it will take you to a web page.
What’s the point of QR codes?
QR codes link offline information to online content, effectively providing additional information and even multimedia to an offline experience. If you’ve created print material that included a URL for more information, a QR code for that URL could also be added to enable smartphone users to go directly to that web page without having to type in the web address.

So I decided to create one (I used kaywa) and demonstrate how simple to create and how simple to read.





This code takes you to one of my very favorite places to eat, Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ, here in Hutchinson, Kansas. (Thank you Kevin Honeycutt for the awesome picture of Roy's ribs) People come from all over the US and I suspect foreign countries to eat there. It's small but packs a huge punch in the taste and satisfaction department, and Anne and Ryan are two of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. You can sit in the dining area at a table or gather like the family you'll be, around the big round table in the front. A word of warning, be prepared to smell like the scent of smoked ribs the rest of the day and don't be surprised when no matter where you go the rest of the day, you will see people sniff the air around you and tell you how jealous they are because they KNOW you had lunch at Roy's. Smelly? yes, Blissful? Absolutely. Too bad I can't embed the aroma into the code, you'd be hooked for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated with QR codes!! I want to make some for our family reunion this summer..It would be fun! Fun to make it like a scavenger hunt to the next event or location....Think this would work?

essdackprincess said...

Yes Connie, I used one called http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
it was super simple. Sounds like fun!