blackbird

Sunday, September 06, 2009

OH, do you know the muffin man.........

I love to bake. I love to cook in general, but it seems I don't really have the time. Today I decided to bake something to send back to school with Brett. Something he could

just pop in his mouth quickly and not have to have a plate or silverware . It needed to be somewhat nutritious so I opted for banana muffins.Now, for any of you that know me, it would not surprise you that I simply could not make a plain old banana muffin nor could I go by someone else's recipe. Following someone else's rules, I just don't have it in me. I went on line and found one that sounded good. Call me adventurous or crazy, (both are applicable), I've made a version of banana muffins at least 50 times and I don't think I've ever done it the same way twice. I added a few ingredients necessary according to my palate and this is the result. Pretty? maybe not so much. Yummy? most definitely.


Banana Sour Cream Muffins


For
muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2- 1 cup mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg


For topping:
1/4 cup softened butter

1/2 cup (or so) brown sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
few dashes of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4 minimuffin tins or line it with paper baking cups.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix egg and add sugar. Add the melted butter in two or three additions. Mix in the sour cream in two additions, followed by the mashed banana. Add the vanilla.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; gently fold with a spatula, being careful not to overmix.

Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean and the tops are lightly golden.


Makes 48 mini muffins.

No comments: