blackbird

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sigh....Holiday Baking.......Big Smile

Holiday baking and cooking. People seem to fall into two camps, either they love it or hate it. I fall into the LOVE IT category. I could bake 20 different kinds of cookies and bake pies (although not very good at that one) make all kinds of snacks such as party mix or spiced nuts...and I'd be happy as a clam. However might have to take out a second mortgage on the house to be able to cook like that. Making sweet treats and culinary delights can be expensive...while you are taking a bite of that Caramel Apple Cheesecake, the grocery bill is taking a bite out of your wallet.

I haven't gone crazy and still have not decided what to take for Thanksgiving to - OK...la ....homaaaaa where the wind comes sweeping down the plain........... sorry... anyway so far just baked Sugar Cookies. I'm sure my mother will have made some too and I will have to tip my hat to hers being better. Why is that? Moms always make better anything....and we use the same recipe! Grandma Sanderson's and I'm almost sure I helped bake them more than my mother ever did, perplexing thought... I will most likely go ahead and throw together some Snickerdoodles as well. And the piece de la resistance will be either the Caramel Apple Cheesecake or Gooey Butter Cake or Peanut Butter Pie. Orrrrr, perhaps all the above. Yes, my goal is to roll everyone out after the day. A round of belly aches for all!

But holiday baking and gathering also brings back to mind people that have passed before us, the happy memories, smells bringing vivid pictures of days gone by, standing in kitchen laughing voices, hugs all around, catching up  with those once-a-year or less people in our lives. But holidays also give us a chance to meet new additions to the family and start new traditions. So although they can be a little somber at times, holidays are the time to look forward to enjoy good food and good company. Now, let the good times roll and the baking begin!




Grandma's Sugar Cookies

1 Cup Butter                 2 TBSP. Milk
1 1/2 Cups Sugar         1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Eggs                           3 Cups Flour
1 tsp. Vanilla                 1/4 tsp. Salt
Dust lightly with sugar and nutmeg

You can use stick margarine instead of butter. Chill dough at least 3 hours but preferably overnight. Roll out on lightly floured surface adding flour as you roll out to prevent sticking to the rolling pin. Bake at 350- 375 for 8-10 minutes or just until done.

(Optional) Cool completely then ice with canned frosting.

No comments: