blackbird

Monday, August 09, 2010

GOING TO GRENADA!

I am sooo excited! I leave THIS week for Grenada. My niece is in the Peace Corps (check out her blog, My Life in the Peace Corps) and my sister and I are going to visit. We will spend the first few days with her seeing the projects she is involved with and then go to the resort side of the island for a few days of r&r.

Grenada is an island country and sovereign state consisting of the island of Grenada and six smaller islands at the southern end of the Grenadines in the southeastern Caribbean Sea. Grenada is located northwest of Trinidad and Tobago, northeast of Venezuela, and southwest of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Grenada is also known as the "Island of Spice" due to the production of nutmeg and mace crops of which Grenada is one of the world's largest exporters.





I am also excited to take with me a suitcase full of school supplies. One of the jobs she is doing there is teaching in a 1st grade classroom. Supplies are limited to say the least so my office, along with others, have gotten together and were so generous in their donations! My sister and I both are dedicated one suitcase to the transportation of the supplies. We were quite surprised to find out that Grenada is one of the destinations affected by the summer embargo and we could not take under any circumstances more than 2 suitcases per person (along with our carryons) and it HAD to be suitcases, not boxes or crates or anything else and each was NOT to exceed 50 lbs each. We couldn't even pay extra to take something. So we had to get really creative. I even came up with 3 used laptops!


I'm not gonna lie, I am a little concerned with the food situation but have packed some granola bars and cup of soup. They eat alot of fruit and fish (the two f words I really don't like) but there are plenty of vegetables so it'll be fine......... I hope.

The heat and humidity are going to be a challenge as well. I am used to heat here in Kansas but I am also very accustomed to being able to into the air conditioning. And you walk ALOT, so hopefully I have good comfortable shoes and am prepared to sweat. I'm sure I will return home with a greater appreciation of the creature comforts I take for granted.

No comments: